This holiday season retailers are trying something new to reassure price-savvy consumers that they are getting the best deals. There have been many times where I’ve bought an item, only to see it at a lower price somewhere else. I’ve also rushed to a store that has an item on sale only to find that it’s sold out but I know a competitor has that plenty of the same product in stock. Other times you jump on your phone to see if it’s cheaper online, only to just leave the store and buy it online at home.
Many retailers are offering price matching this holiday to prevent “showrooming”. The term “Showrooming” refers to the practice of shopping for an item in-store, only to return home and purchase the item online or competitor for a lower price. It is becoming more convenient for consumers to do so because they are increasingly turning to their mobile devices to shop online for a product while in-store.
Before you start your holiday shopping, check out the guidelines and exclusions of each retailer’s holiday price match policy.
Please be advised that the Black Friday Price Match Policy is often a little different than the traditional policy or the holiday policy.
Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us
Toys“R”Us is offering “Price Match Guarantee” on all items available in its Toys“R”Us and Babies“R”Us stores nationwide. Now through Christmas Eve, the company will match competitors’ in-store pricing on identical items, any time a customer presents a local competitors’ current, valid print advertisement showing the item available for less. In addition, if a customer finds an item sold in Toys“R”Us or Babies“R”Us stores available for less on Toysrus.com or Babiesrus.com, the company will match the online price*.
Here are the guidelines:
- Price Match is valid for in-store purchases only.
- They will match all competitor store advertised prices.
- They will match Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com online pricing in our stores, except for online-only prices.
- Items purchased must be identical to the items advertised (e.g., brand, color, size).
- The original, complete competitor ad, with valid dates, must be presented at time of purchase.
- Prices are matched after deducting any Toys”R”Us and/or Babies”R”Us coupon savings and other offers from our price.
- Price match is given at the time of purchase or within 7 days of purchase date with a valid receipt.
They will NOT match prices for competitors’:
- Category-wide or storewide discounts
- Buy One Get One with purchase offers
- Gift with purchase offers
- Percentage (%) off discounts
- Out-of-stock or limited quantity items
- Doorbuster items
- Prices advertised on Black Friday
- Internet pricing for non-baby gear items
For more info and exclusions on their policy please visit Toysrus.com.
If you buy a qualifying item at a Target store then find the identical item for less in the following week’s Target weekly ad or within seven days at Target.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, BabiesRUs.com or in a competitor’s local printed ad, we’ll match the price. Price match may be requested at Guest Services prior to your purchase with proof of current lower price or by bringing in your original Target store receipt and proof of the current lower price.
Price Match Guarantee: the details
- The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.
- Limit of one competitor online price match per identical item, per guest.
- Price must be valid at the time the price match is requested.
- Retail price must be shown on the website or print ad. Online prices will be validated by a Target team member.
- Competitor online items must be in stock at the time a price match is requested.
- Competitor catalogs can be matched as long as the catalog displays a current date, retail price and meets all other competitor ad match qualifications.
- If item is not available in a Target store, a rain check will not be issued to match the online price or competitor’s print ad.
- We reserve the right to verify a competitor’s advertised price and the availability of the item.
Visit Target.com/morereasons to get more details, including terms and conditions.
Best Buy Price Match Guarantee
Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor’s store, a local Best Buy retail store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period.
The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors’ website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, competitors’ service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, Deal of the Day items, BestBuy.com Midnight Sale and special hour sale events, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.
For more info on Best Buy’s Price Match Guarantee please visit BestBuy.com
Walmart is committed to providing low prices every day. On everything. So if you find a lower advertised price on an identical product, tell them and they’ll match it. Right at the register.
They’ll match the price in the following types of ads:*
- Buy one, get one free ads with a specified price
- Example: Buy one for $2.49, get one free (BOGO)
- Competitors’ ads that feature a specific item for a specified price
- Preferred shopping card prices for specific items that are in a printed ad
- For fresh produce and meat items when the price is offered in the same unit type (lb. for lb.; each for each)
*The following are guidelines and limitations:
- They will match any local competitor’s advertised price.
- They do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor’s ad.
- Items purchased must be identical to the ad (size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc.)
They do not match the price in the following types of competitor ads:
- Items that require a separate purchase to get the ad price
- example: “Buy [item A] to get [item B] for $C”
- Items with no actual price that require a purchase to get free product
- example: “Buy both [items A & B] to get [item C] for free”
- Items that require a purchase to get a competitors’ gift card
- example: “Buy [item A] to get a $B gift card
- Buy one, get one free (BOGO) ads with no actual price given
- Going out of business or closeout prices
- Percentage off
- example: “All mascara, 40% off”
- Competitors’ private label price promotions
They do not honor:
- Ads when the actual price for items cannot be determined
- Internet pricing
- Misprinted ad prices of other retailers
- “Going out of business” sales or “closeout” prices
For more info on Walmart’s Price Match Guarantee please visit Walmart.com
Retail Competitors – Stores
If you find a lower price on an identical brand and model number currently available for sale at another local competitor’s retail store, Sears will match that price. Just bring in the original advertisement to a sales associate at the time of, or within 14 days after, your purchase.
Retail Competitors – Online
If you find a lower online price (including any costs for shipping and handling, but not delivery) on an identical brand and model number currently available from a local competitor’s retail store honoring its own online price and the item is currently available for sale and delivery in your area, Sears will match the price of the merchandise. Just print the ordering page (including the costs for shipping and handling), and bring it to your Sears store at the time of, or within 14 days after, your purchase. If you are purchasing the item from sears.com, please fill out a Price Match form. Sears will not price match internet-only retailers.
Sears Branded Stores and Sears Branded Websites
If you find a lower price on an identical brand and model number from another Sears branded non-outlet retail format or website, Sears will match that price. Sears will not price match limited time Online Only events, special Online Price, or conditional Online Only Special Offers on our websites. Only items listed as Sold by Sears or Sold by Kmart are eligible for price matching on our websites. Sears will not price match any Marketplace items or any items sold by Sears Outlet or searsoutlet.com. All other rules for qualification apply.
Sears will not price match competitor’s items that are limited in quantity, offered for sale for less than six hours during a day or door busters. Sears will not price match items offered for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving, bonus or free offers, special offers, online-only offers, bundled offers, rebates, any special financing offers, coupons, protection agreements, clearance or closeout prices, or prices on used, damaged, returned, open box or display merchandise. Sears will not price match services (including, but not limited to, delivery, installation, and assembly), parts, Sears Licensed partner websites, digital services, Sears Presents or Shop At Home catalogs. Stores in Puerto Rico, Alaska, and Hawaii will not match any online prices. Sears will not match typographical errors or competitor’s prices that result from a price match. Sears will not price match Kenmore items at non-Sears Holdings retail formats.
Price Protection Policy
Buy with confidence from Sears. If an item you have purchased from Sears goes on sale for a lower price within 14 days of your purchase, Sears will refund the difference. All Price Match rules and exclusions apply including no Price Protection adjustments between Thanksgiving Day and the Monday after Thanksgiving.
To claim a Price Protection Policy adjustment, go to your original Sears store where the purchase was made with your receipt. If your purchase was made on Sears.com, please fill out a Price Protection form. You will be given a refund for the difference of the original selling price and the current advertised/reduced price. Apparel clearance merchandise and conditional Online Only Special Offers do not qualify for Price Protection Policy adjustments.
For more info please visit Sear.com/Pricematch
Kohl’s will match competitors’ prices. Just bring a copy of the competitor’s ad with the current date on it to your nearest Kohl’s Department Store. (Make sure the ad includes a description of the item.) This applies to in-store prices and products only, not to Kohls.com pricing or products.
For more info please visit Kohls.com
Find an item for less? Don’t worry. jcp will match it. jcp is happy to match any similar local competitor’s current advertised price on identical items we carry in stores. Just bring the ad to a jcp team member, and they’ll honor the lower price. Does not include Sephora, Salon, Optical, Portrait or Custom Decorating.
For more info please visit jcpenney.com
Lowe’s will guarantee their everyday competitive prices. If you find a lower everyday price on an identical item at a local retail competitor, just bring in the competitor’s current ad, and they’ll beat their price by 10%. If a competitor is offering a percent off discount, Lowe’s will match the final net price the competitor is offering. The price guarantee does not apply to installation labor, to the competitor’s closeout, special order, discontinued, clearance, liquidation or to damaged items. Limited to reasonable quantities.
For more info please visit Lowes.com
If you find a lower price on a new identical item, just show the lower price when you buy the item at Staples and they’ll match the price. Please read the following questions for full details. If you purchase an item from Staples and notify within 14 days that you found that item at a lower price in our stores or at staples.com®, they’ll refund the difference. The full Price Match Guarantee is available when you place an order or when you call 800-333-3330. For an in-store price match, please see an associate at the customer service desk. This policy was last updated on November 3, 2013, and is subject to change without notice.
For more info please visit Staples.com
With the exception of televisions and cell phones, Amazon.com doesn’t price-match with other retailers (including those who sell their items on the website).
For more info please visit Amazon.com